The Aboriginal Affairs NSW Cultural Grants Program supports Aboriginal community organisations across NSW to celebrate Aboriginal culture and hold key cultural events and activities. Applicants can apply for grants from $500 to $20,000.
The Aboriginal Affairs NSW Cultural Grants Program has the following objectives:
- support Aboriginal communities strengthen, protect, and maintain traditional and contemporary expressions of Aboriginal culture
- support key contemporary Aboriginal cultural events and activities
- contribute to Aboriginal community wellbeing and healing
- facilitate sharing of Aboriginal cultural knowledge and skills between generations.
The following are examples of the types of activities that may be funded:
- Women’s or Men’s Gathering on Country
- delivery of a culture and wellbeing camp for Aboriginal youth
- creation of a digital installation showing Aboriginal history of the local community
- statewide music or cultural festival
- hosting a series of online workshops
- community celebration event
- cultural activities at a regional sporting event
Applications will be accepted at any time during the open period and the assessment panel will meet monthly to assess applications.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications within eight weeks of submitting an application. Due to the assessment process, your project start date should be eight weeks after the date you submit your application.
Please contact AANSW staff and/or regional staff if your planned project start date is less than eight weeks from when you will submit your application.
Aboriginal Affairs NSW Cultural Grants funding, where possible, is distributed to small, community-based Aboriginal owned and controlled organisations.
These are organisations that represent or service a specific Aboriginal community or language group, or a group of communities connected geographically, and will be prioritised for funding.
Organisations with a state-wide or national presence, and regional organisations with significant numbers of paid staff will be eligible to apply but may not be prioritised.
To be eligible for funding your organisation must be a legal entity located in NSW, or working with Aboriginal Communities in NSW, and able to enter into a funding agreement with Aboriginal Affairs NSW.
Applications close 5pm Friday 13 May. Your project must be completed by 31 December 2022.