Phone 02 6822 2484
- COMMUNICATIONS & TOURING COORDINATOR
- Maddi Ward
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 02 6822 2484
- Mobile 0428 220 029
- ABORIGINAL PROJECTS OFFICER
- Fleur Stubbs
- Based in Warren
- Email email@example.com
- ADMINISTRATIONS OFFICER
- Polly Cohen
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 02 6822 2484
- FINANCIAL SERVICES/BOOKKEEPER
- Greg Vaughan
- Phone 02 6822 2484
- CHAIR: Casey Marshall- Siemer
- VICE CHAIR: Kylie Harvey
- TREASURER: Pauline Serdity, Warren Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Sally Torr
- DIRECTOR: Angela Shepherd, Cobar Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Barbara Deans, Coonamble Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: John Thompson, Bourke Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Jane Keir, Walgett Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Brytt Moore, Cobar Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Eric Crisp
- DIRECTOR: Veneta Dutton, Bogan Shire Council
- DIRECTOR: Donna Jeffries, Brewarrina Shire Council
ABORIGINAL ARTS & CULTURE
Aboriginal Population and Language Groups
- Bourke Shire Council (townships and villages of Bourke, Enngonia, Wanaaring, Louth, Byrock and Fords Bridge) – 2,868 pop. of whom 30.2% of people identified themselves as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
- Bogan Shire Council (Nyngan, non-contributing to Outback Arts) – 2,900 pop. of whom Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 14.4% of the population.
- Brewarrina Shire Council (non-contributing) – 1,766 pop. of whom Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 59.1% of the population.
- Cobar Shire Council (townships and villages of Cobar, Euabalong and Euabalong West, Murrin Bridge, Mount Hope and Nymagee) – 4,710 pop. of whom 12.9% identified of being of Aboriginal descent.
- Coonamble Shire Council (townships and villages of Coonamble, Quambone and Combara) – 4,030 pop. of whom 29.2% identified as being Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
- Walgett Shire Council (townships and villages of Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri, Carinda, Coombogolong, Come By Chance, Burren Junction, Rowena, Grawin, Cumborah) – 6,454 pop. of whom 28.1% population people identified themselves Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Warren Shire Council (Warren, Collie, Nevertire, Egelabra, Marthaguy and The Marra) – 2,758 pop. of whom 13.3% identified themselves Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Outback Arts Aboriginal Arts Program
- The Outback Arts Regional Indigenous Cultural Development Strategy is a major priority which is addressed through the employment of part-time Regional Indigenous Cultural Development Officers in each of OA’s local government areas. The program is supported by the Indigenous Culture Support program of the Australian Government’s Office for the Arts and involves the employment of local residents in each shire, to assist in developing skills and knowledge of local Indigenous heritage for the whole community, promoting local traditions, providing professional development opportunities and teaching art skills, marketing and arts business. Currently there are RICDOs employed in Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Warren, Coonamble and Bourke.
- In 2012 and 2013, OA coordinated the Weaving across the Outback project which involved weaving workshops conducted by Boolarng Nangamai Art and Culture Studio in Bourke, Gulargambone, Coonamble, Cobar, Walgett, Lightning Ridge and Warren in the first year and masterclasses in the second. The latter was funded through the Australian Government’s Regional Fund and some of the work exhibited at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney.
- In partnership with the Moorambilla Festival, OA employed a project manager for the festival as well as managed the workshops conducted by the RICDO initiated Ngemba Wailwan art group in Warren with children from Moorambilla Voices, culminating 25 totem poles and artistic backdrop for the Festival gala performance.
- The high Aboriginal population of this region has resulted in many projects involving Aboriginal artists and communities – see OA website for past projects.
Aboriginal Arts Website for local artists
Aboriginal Arts Organisations
- Dharriwaa Elders, Walgett
- Northern Regional Library & Information Service, Indigenous Unit, Moree
- List of arts organisations in region
- Yaama Festival, Bourke
- Moorambilla Festival, Coonamble