Gunnedah Shire Council Enriches Arts and Culture with Funding Allocation04.05.2018
Gunnedah Shire Council has provided a boost to the arts and culture scene, with more than $16,000 granted to local groups under the new Arts and Cultural Funding Program.
Following submissions, a selection panel was appointed and recommended a total of $16,751.00 in grant funding to be distributed among five groups. The following funding was endorsed by Council at April’s Ordinary Council Meeting:
- Gunnedah Pottery Club $1400.00 to assist with workshop costs
- Gunnedah Embroiders Guild $851.00 to assist with tutor fees
- Arts Gunnedah $5000.00 to contribute to the Annual Arts and Ceramics Exhibition
- Two Rivers Arts Council $3000.00 to contribute to the Two Rivers Dance Collective and Big Circus Show
- Gunnedah Conservatorium $6,500.00 to assist with hosting the community choir, youth choir, community orchestra and to assist with costs for musical production, Chicago
Gunnedah Shire Council Director Corporate and Community Services Colin Formann said the new program was adopted by Council at the February Ordinary Council Meeting and has enabled multiple arts and culture groups to apply for funding to support their programs and services.
“The new program brings Council’s process for distributing funds for arts groups into line with what occurs for sporting and community organisations, resulting in a fairer system,” Mr Formann said.
“The panel assessed the applications on their merits and ensured a fair distribution by prioritising projects which would have significant benefit to local arts and cultural programming in the Gunnedah community.”
Gunnedah Conservatorium Director Rebecca Ryan spoke in favour of the program.
“Council should be commended for taking this direction. It allows organisations to tailor and develop their programs to meet the community’s needs,” Ms Ryan said.
It is anticipated a second round of funding will be open for applications in June.
“A new round of funding is expected to open in the second half of this year, which will give organisations a second opportunity, or those that missed out in this round, to apply,” Mr Formann said.
For more information contact Gunnedah Shire Council at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.gunnedah.nsw.gov.au