$10K Riverina Playwright Commission28.03.2014
Outback Theatre for Young People (OTYP) is offering a $10,000 playwriting commission and mentorship for a young regional playwright to create a work (50 minutes to an hour, one act) that brings regional voices and stories to the stage.
The EMERGE Commission will nurture an emerging Playwright’s professional growth through a mentoring process in 2014, resulting in a play that shares an authentic regional voice. The commission is open to young people aged 16-26 who either currently live in the Riverina, or can demonstrate a connection to the area and applications close on the 23rd April 2014.
Creative Producer Claire Harris says ‘this is the first time OTYP has commissioned a work from a young regional playwright. This project builds on successive years of work playwriting and playbuilding that have built a level of skills among the young people of the Riverina that make it possible for us to identify one promising young artist, develop their practice and launch a career.’
The commission and mentorship includes:
- $10,000 commission fee
- 3 month mentorship with playwright, Jessica Bellamy, developing the work
- 2 week-long residencies in regional NSW to workshop the script
- A place at Australian Theatre for Young People’s National Studio in 2014 held from the 28th August to the 6th September
- The opportunity to spend two separate one-week residencies working with young people aged between 14-18 get feedback on how the piece is being received by young people.
- All travel and accommodation paid for by OTYP during the week long residencies and the National Studio
Claire says ‘this is an amazing opportunity for young aspiring writers in our region; we all have a story to tell. OTYP have worked in the Riverina for 25 years we know there is talent out here, so let’s find it and share our story with the rest of Australia’
For more information visit the OTYP website
Creative Producer Claire Harris: 0417 164 641 / email Claire@outbacktheatre.com