Emerging Aboriginal Writers | Saltwater Freshwater11.09.2013
Expressions of Interest
Saltwater Freshwater Arts Alliance Aboriginal Corporation is calling for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from emerging Aboriginal writers on the Mid North Coast of NSW for our Storytelling to Design Project:
Guunumba: bring to life.
“What kind of Ancestor do I want to be? I want to be an Ancestor who can pass on Legends; to be able to give emerging writers the way to see story in what they see so that they in turn can pass on Legends. In other words ‘bring to life’ a perpetual Legend lineage” Aunty Bea Ballangarry
Aunty Bea Ballangarry, Gumbaynggirr Elder, writer and poet, will work with a group of emerging Aboriginal writers from the Mid North Coast of NSW to develop contemporary Aboriginal stories. Just like traditional stories, these stories will be embedded with cultural values and life lessons. Through a number of workshops the participants will build their capacity to continue writing Aboriginal cultural stories. An experienced writer will also be engaged to assist Aunty Bea and the emerging writers to develop their stories and assist with the editing process.
This professional development opportunity is free of charge to the successful applicants
The new stories will form the basis for the Saltwater Freshwater Arts Alliance program development over the coming years, with the stories being interpreted in different artistic mediums such as dance, music, theatre, digital media and design.
Please include the following:
• CV with current address, phone number and email address
• 2 samples of your writing ie; poetry, prose or a short story
• A one page letter outlining your reasons for wanting to participate in this project.
You can include:
- Your passion for writing and how you started writing
- How you see this opportunity accelerating your writing career
- Your future goals for writing
- An indication of what kind of themes you would like to see explored
- Confirmation of your Aboriginality (community of origin etc.)
- Confirmation of your availability for the specified dates for the 2 writing retreats
Key Dates & Information
Applications Close: Monday 16 September 2013 5pm
This will be a competitive process and only (up to) 4 applicants will be selected for the program.
The successful participants will need to be available for 2 x 3 day workshops at North Farm in Bellingen on the following dates: 18 – 20 October 2013 and 15 – 17 November 2013
Submissions email: email@example.com
Submissions post: Attention: Jane Tavener; Saltwater Freshwater Arts Alliance, PO Box 703, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450