ArtsJob > Aboriginal Arts Officer, Orana Arts14.02.2013
Orana Arts, the Regional Arts Board servicing the Dubbo, Narromine, Gilgandra, Warrumbungle and Midwestern Local Government areas of New South Wales, is seeking an Aboriginal Arts Officer.
The position is initially offered part-time, 14 hours per week for a 6 month period commencing 4 March 2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The initial contract may be extended, subject to on-going funding. The position is funded by the Australian Government, Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sport, Office of the Arts.
This new position aims to support the development and sustainability of a vibrant Aboriginal arts and crafts industry in the Orana Arts region of NSW. It is a regional approach to setting up a program that supports, maximises the potential and raises the profile of a range of current arts hubs and emerging activities in Aboriginal communities, identifies new areas in need of infrastructure support, coordinates training and professional development opportunities and facilitates and promotes networking and exchange of skills and resources between Indigenous communities, both within the region and more broadly throughout the state.
The Orana Arts Aboriginal Arts Officer (AAO) will be based in Dubbo, but will be expected to work throughout the region. The AAO will be given access to the Orana Arts vehicle to attend meetings outside of Dubbo.
The salary for the position is $20,000 which includes superannuation and annual leave entitlements.
- Experience working with Aboriginal people and their communities
- Experience in and knowledge of the arts industry
- Project management skills and experience
- Effective communication skills, including verbal and written skills appropriate to a range of settings, reporting, documenting and computer skills
- Ability to work independently while taking direction from Executive Officer and Orana Arts Board
- Current drivers licence
- Working with Children clearance
- Knowledge of business operation
- Relevant qualifications (arts, business)
- Knowledge of arts in the Western region of New South Wales
- Knowledge of other support services
- Liaise with Aboriginal artists, arts practitioners and cultural organisations in their communities to identify their professional and creative needs and potential
- Scope existing Aboriginal arts activity in the Orana Arts region
- Develop and deliver a program of art-form support and development
- Build partnerships with organisations in order to provide more opportunities, places to showcase work and commercial selling opportunities for Aboriginal arts
- Organise and project-manage events to showcase Aboriginal arts in the Orana Arts region
- Establish links outside the region for commercial activity and cultural exchange
- Assist in the development of an Aboriginal arts directory for the Orana region
Applicants must submit a written application addressing the selection criteria and demonstrating how your experience is relevant to the position and its selection criteria. A brief current CV should also be submitted. The names and contact details of two referees should be included.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview in Dubbo.
Mail: Regional Arts Development Officer Orana Arts Inc. PO Box 271 Gilgandra NSW 2827
Tel: 02 6817 8704 or 0417 777 586 (for more information)
Applications must be received by 5pm, Friday 15 Feb 2013